2004-09-16 | Onyx boosts its leadership in the United Kingdom in the third quarter of 2004
Onyx, Veolia Environnements waste management division, strengthened its foothold in the United Kingdom by signing two new household waste management contracts.
- It renewed the integrated waste management contract for the city of Sheffield for five years. As of 2001, the contract encompassed the collection of household and non-hazardous industrial waste, the development of recycling, and waste treatment and energy recovery, including the operation of an existing facility and the construction of a new plant that will be up and running in the autumn of 2005 (capacity: 225,000 tons a year).
The five-year extension will generate an additional income of over 450 million euros for Onyx for the period.
- Onyx also won a 33-million-euro contract to collect household waste for the borough of Trafford (near Manchester) for seven years.
At the same time the upcoming opening of three new sites confirms Onyxs leadership in the waste management field in the United Kingdom.
- Two new household and non-hazardous industrial waste landfills in Yorkshire will open for business in 2005:
- in Albion (capacity of 3.9 million cubic meters),
- Onyx has also received authorization to operate, in a joint venture with Salt Union, the former Winsford Rock salt mine as a hazardous industrial waste landfill. The facility will have a capacity of 100,000 tons a year and will take in solid, dry, non-radioactive, non-inflammable and non-explosive waste.
Minosus will enable the United Kingdom to make up some of its shortfall in the area of non-recyclable and non-reclaimable hazardous waste storage over the next 20 years.
Onyx, Veolia Environnements Waste Management Division and the No. 2 waste management firm in the world, is the only company that offers solid, liquid, non-hazardous and hazardous waste services to both local communities and manufacturers. With 68,000 employees in 33 countries, Onyx is involved in every stage of the waste treatment cycle. The company collects, sorts, transfers, treats and subsequently recycles waste. Onyx posted sales of 5.9 billion euros in 2003.
Analyst and institutional investor contact: Nathalie Pinon +33 1 71 75 01 67
US Investor contact: Brian Sullivan +(1) 630 371 2749